Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mac Book, the bomb

For years i've been dieing to turn to the other side, and start using Linux, i had a few days with ubuntu, but never got the chance to really get into it, or even have it set up on a decent machine.

My partner, one Shay, has recently managed to push me off balance and without noticing i found myself with the new macbook.

1. I'm damn impressed with the sensation this baby gives ya. no windows does it.
2. It's damn hard to get used to such a change - I feel like my toolbox has been taken away from me, even the little tweaks should be re-acquired.

the fun thing is that its basically FreeBSD beneath the mask, so it's not so far off linux, and it comes with lots of perks.

my biggest mistake over the first week, was that i ran to install VM and set it up with windows, for safety measures. I wasn't gonna be left out without my familiar env.
It turned out that i found myself with a brand new 4GB 2.4Ghz machine, running on VM with somewhat unsatisfying performance. i was disappointed.
Only when i decided to try do things on mac, i found the real beauty, it can all be done directly on mac (unless you need to develop some .net code or run heavy Excel/Word documents - you need to keep windows for these bastards).

Groovy enough, you can take your old machine and convert into a VM using VMWare converter.

like i said, being the open source freak that i am, here's what i'm using now:
Filezilla ftp client,
MAMP PHP/Apache/MySql for mac,
JEdit - took me a while to configure nicely, has crappy Look&Feel (someone said Java???), doesn't get even close to notepad++, but it works just fine!
RapidSVN - svn client.

in addition, there's microsoft RDC (RDP client for mac), FireFox, Skype, MSN and more, so things aren't looking bad at all.

last issue was the keyboard. damn mac people don't think much of keys like delete, home and end, (the american version has delete button, and in israel i got the backspace button, but they are the same).
to the rescue comes doublecommand (which installs itself to the settings window if u cant find it), and SharpKeys for windows users.

next i'll be talking about the NAS i've purchased, requires it's own post...

No comments:

Post a Comment